COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — No. 4 Ohio State beat Maryland 37-17 with the Buckeyes defense leading the charge, forcing two turnovers and two turnover on downs against the Terrapins.
Josh Proctor returned an interception for a touchdown in the second quarter and Lathan Ransom picked off Taulia Tagovailoa resulting in a third-quarter field goal.
Quarterback Kyle McCord went 19-of-29 for 320 yards and two touchdowns, both in the fourth quarter. He also threw four completions that went for 30+ yards. Running back TreVeyon Henderson was unavailable for the Buckeyes who started Chip Trayanum in his place. The former linebacker turned running back scored a touchdown, but the rushing attack was subpar with 62 yards on the ground and an average of 1.9 yards per carry.
See below for how the game unfolded.
- Ohio State goes 3 and out. Buckeyes attempt a fake punt but fail to convert
- Maryland scores first on a 15-yard TD pass from Tagovailoa to Kaden Prather. Terps lead 7-0
- Kyle McCord sacked on 3rd and 10 near midfield
- Ohio State forces a turnover on downs on a 4th and 1 stop at OSU’s 29-yard line
- Maryland gets another sack and OSU is once again forced to punt after going 3 and out
- End of 1st Quarter: Maryland 7 Ohio State 0. Terps ball at the OSU 32-yard line to start the 2nd quarter
- Ohio State’s defense bends but doesn’t break on a goal line stand. Maryland settles for a short field goal and leads 10-0 with 12:56 left in the second quarter
- Maryland’s offense has 140 yards to Ohio State’s 28 yards
- Josh Proctor takes an interception back for a touchdown to put Ohio State on the board. Buckeyes trail 10-7 with 9:41 left in the quarter
- Ohio State goes three and out for a third time in the first half
- J.T. Tuimoloau gets a sack on Tagovailoa and Maryland is forced to punt
- McCord connects with Marvin Harrison Jr. twice for 72 yards to set up a short field goal. Game is tied 10-10
- Maryland scores on the opening drive of the second half. Terps drive the ball 75 yards on nine plays capped off by a 9-yard touchdown run from Tagovailoa. Maryland leads 17-10
- McCord connects with Julian Fleming for a 35-yard gain followed by a four-yard TD run by Chip Trayanum. Tied 17-17
- Lathan Ransom intercepts Taulia Tagovailoa. Ohio State ball at the Terps 38-yard line
- Ohio State gets inside the red zone but settles for a short field goal. Buckeyes lead 20-17
- Buckeyes force a 3 and out and the offense will get the ball to start the 4th quarter
- McCord connects with Harrison for 37 yards followed by a 45-yard TD to Cade Stover. Buckeyes lead 27-17
- McCord hits Harrison for a 17-yard TD after the defense forced a turnover on downs deep in Terps territory