COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) — No. 3 Ohio State beat No. 7 Penn State 20-12 in one of the biggest games of the college football season.
The Buckeyes defense did not allow a touchdown until 29 seconds left in the game and didn’t give up a third-down conversion until 45 seconds left. Penn State finished 1-for-16 on third down.
Ohio State’s offense did just enough to get past the Nittany Lions capped off by a late fourth-quarter touchdown from quarterback Kyle McCord to Marvin Harrison Jr. with four minutes left in the game to put OSU up by two possessions.
McCord finished 22-of-35 for 286 yards with 162 of those yards going to Harrison, who had 11 catches with 10 going for a first down. Harrison is the first receiver in Ohio State history to record five games of 160+ receiving yards.
Below are live updates from this clash between the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions.
- Ohio State forces a 3 and out
- Buckeyes drive methodically down the field but get stopped inside the red zone. Jayden Fielding’s 33-yard field goal is good. OSU leads 3-0
- Penn State drives into OSU territory and Nittany Lions settle for a 40-yard field goal
- End 1st Quarter: Penn State 3 Ohio State 3
- A Penn State defensive touchdown on a strip sack is called back for holding by the Nittany Lions. OSU automatic first down on the Penn State 16-yard line
- Marvin Harrison Jr. makes a catch through pass interference on 3rd and 10
- Miyan Williams scores the first touchdown of the game on a 2-yard run. Ohio State leads 10-3 with 7:31 left in the 2nd quarter
- Penn State connects on a 41-yard field goal. Ohio State leads 10-6 with 4:16 left in the 2nd quarter
- Half: Ohio State 10 Penn State 6
- 3 punts to start the 3rd quarter, including two 3 and outs forced by OSU’s defense. Penn State is 0-for-9 on third down
- Kyle McCord connects with Marvin Harrison Jr. for 16 yards and Cade Stover for 30 yards. OSU facing 3rd and goal at the one-yard line
- Ohio State turns the ball over on downs after a one-yard loss and pass that was stopped for no gain
- Penn State’s punt touches Lorenzo Styles foot and the Nittany Lions recover near midfield
- End 3rd quarter: Ohio State 10 Penn State 6
- Penn State goes 3 and out thanks in part to a sack by defensive end J.T. Tuimoloau
- McCord hits Harrison for a 28-yard gain followed by a 25-yard pass to Stover
- Ohio State settles for a field goal. Buckeyes lead 13-6 with 9:03 left
- McCord hits Harrison for a touchdown on third down and OSU leads 20-6
- OSU gives up its first TD with 29 seconds left and recovers the onside kick to win the game
- Final: Ohio State 20 Penn State 12