Hospital: Arizona man dies after self-medicating to fend off COVID-19

NMW-Coronavirus

PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after the couple took an additive used to clean fish tanks.

Banner Health says the couple in their 60s took chloroquine phosphate and got sick within 30 minutes.

Last week, Trump misstated that the malaria medication chloroquine was a known treatment for COVID-19. Even after the FDA chief clarified that the drug still needs to be tested, Trump overstated the drug’s potential upside in containing the virus.

Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director of Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, says the last thing health officials want is for emergency rooms to be swamped by patients who believe they found a vague and risky solution that could potentially jeopardize their health.

Correction: The original Associated Press article on this story noted the couple took chloroquine —  implying they took a prescribed drug. According to the treating hospital, the couple took chloroquine phosphate which can be purchased at a pet store.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

Get severe weather email alerts

Don't Miss

Local News

WATCH: Ohio State band alumni return for quad Script Ohio

After record-low attendance, OSU fans come out for Akron game

TBDBITL halftime show pays tribute to country music, alumni form quad Script Ohio

Coshocton Sheriff: Deputy fatally shoots suspect who broke into school, took deputy's firearm

What does it take to be a firefighter? Reynoldsburg residents get first-hand look

Kyle McCord starting at QB in Ohio State’s game against Akron

More Local News