Woman electrocuted, child injured at North Carolina hotel

U.S. & World

BATTLEBORO, NC (WNCN) – A woman is dead and a child injured following an incident Monday at a hotel in North Carolina, police said. 

The 31-year-old woman was electrocuted in a room at the Economy Inn and Suites, located at 7522 Old Battleboro Rd. in the Gold Rock community of Nash County, North Carolina, officials confirmed to WNCN.

Officials believe the air conditioner may have caused the electrocution. 

The 7-year-old child was transported to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill and is expected to be OK. 

A 10-year-old who was in the room at the time of the incident said the AC unit began to smoke. The 31-year-old went to open the door to let the smoke out, she fell unconscious, officials said. 

“She touched the door handle and the floor was wet and she lost her life,” said the victim’s cousin, Tony Williams. 

Photos from the scene show part of the hotel and parking lot blocked off by yellow tape.  

No other information was immediately available. 

Three Nash County Emergency Services units, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office, Stony Creek
EMS, Battleboro Fire Department, Nash County Medical Examiner and the Rocky Mount Police
Department assisted fire crews with the incident

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

STORY TOOLS

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools