Russian woman mistakenly ‘embalmed alive’ during routine surgery

U.S. & World
saline_397578

Custom CSS

(WCMH) – A Russian woman is dead after she was mistakenly administered embalming fluid instead of saline during a routine surgery.

It happened April 5 at a hospital in Ulyanovsk, Russia, according to a report from RT, a TV network owned by the Russian government.

Ekaterina Fedyaeva, 28, was in the hospital to have ovarian cysts surgically removed.  According to Russian news agency Tass, Fedyaeva was injected in the abdominal cavity with formalin, a solution containing formaldehyde , instead of saline.

Two minutes after the error was discovered, doctors tried to flush the chemical from her body.

Fedyaeva was then taken to a hospital in Moscow, where she later died.

In response to the incident, the head doctor at the hospital and all medical personnel involved in the surgery have been fired. Some could face criminal charges, according to local reports.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Interactive Radar

STORY TOOLS

Don't Miss

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools