A woman in Texas says she got the surprise of her life when a rattlesnake made it into her home through her dog door.
The woman says she was relaxing at her Highland Park Village home in the afternoon when she says she heard a rattle and her dogs started barking.
The woman says she called a maintenance man who took care of the snake. She says the snake entered through the door.
Rattlesnakes are active during this period of the year in Texas as they are looking for food. There are some things you to do, however, to keep rattlesnakes out of your yard:
- Keep the grass in your front and back yards cut short.
- Clean up any debris in your yard including piles of wood, leaves, or any other materials that a snake could hide under.
- Control rodents in your yard and around your home: pick up fruit on the ground, keep trash cans closed with lids and don’t leave pet food out.
- Remove birdfeeders as they attract small rodents which rattlesnakes prey on.
- Add a rattlesnake proof fence around your yard
- Keep any vegetation from growing up or over the fence as snakes can use it as a way over the fence.
- Check under your house and around the perimeter to close any gaps or holes where a rattlesnake could hide.
- Fill in or block any holes or gaps were a snake can hide or slip through the fence or under your house.