No active jail time for former high school student convicted of sexually assaulting 14-year-old

U.S. & World

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, VA (WRIC) — A former Cosby High School convicted of tying up and sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl on school grounds will serve no active jail time. 

Logan M. Osborn, 19, was arrested last May and charged with carnal knowledge of a child 13 to 15 years old.

He pleaded guilty to that offense and was sentenced to 10 years in prison with eight years suspended, but a Chesterfield judge twice — once in January and again this week — stayed the execution of the two-year active term, noting that guidelines called for no incarceration.

Osborn was an 18-year-old senior at Cosby High and a member of the school’s wrestling team when prosecutors say he tied up a 14-year-old girl and sexually assaulted her after they attended a school play.

The victim was known to Osborn but not a student at the school, police said.

Osborn’s attorney says it was consensual, but prosecutor Erin Barr says at 14, the girl couldn’t legally consent to sex.

Barr said the family is disappointed Osborn will serve no prison time.

Osborn, who will be required to register as a sex offender, lost an academic scholarship to study chemistry at the University of Mary Washington because of the conviction.

Prosecutors said Osborn forced himself on the victim after getting her alone and tied a belt around her neck and hands before the assault.

Osborn’s attorney has described the sexual encounter as consensual and said that a series of text messages the girl and Osborn exchanged “supports his version of the facts.”

According to evidence in the latest case, Osborn and the victim met for the first time at a prom. One week later, on April 28, 2017, they attended a play together at Cosby High School at Osborn’s invitation.

The play ended earlier than expected, and Osborn and the girl went for a walk. Chesterfield prosecutor Erin Barr said Osborn led the girl down a path from where people were gathered for a sporting event. The path ended at a fence. Barr said Osborn pushed the victim to her knees and tied a belt around her neck and hands before forcing her to perform a sex act.

When it was almost time for the girl’s mother to pick her up, Osborn untied the victim and let her up. She quickly walked back to the school and spoke with her mother by video chat, the prosecutor said.

Upon seeing her daughter, the mother knew something was wrong. Osborn followed the girl back to the school and then left for home, Barr said.

The girl’s mother immediately questioned her about what happened. The girl told her mother on the way home what Osborn did, and the family called police and took her to St. Mary’s Hospital for a forensic exam, the prosecutor said.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss