Grandfather hospitalized after taking rattlesnake bite for grandson

U.S. & World
R-MAN-TAKES-SNAKEBITE-FOR-G_1529493308190-846652698.jpg

A Florida grandfather is being hailed a hero by his family after they say he sacrificed himself on Father’s Day by jumping between a venomous rattlesnake and his 3-year-old grandson.

They were picking berries when the little boy saw the snake. That’s when the 43-year old granddad jumped in front of his grandson and was bitten on his finger.

The venom traveled from his finger to his arm, attacking his nervous system and causing excruciating pain in his chest.

Pygmy rattlesnakes are small venomous pit vipers that grow between 15 and 24 inches long. And their venom can be deadly. 

The grandfather is alert but remains in intensive care.

Doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Interactive Radar

STORY TOOLS

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools