MONROE, La. (KTVE)— A baby bear has been spotted in a residential area of north Monroe, Louisiana.
Footage sent in by a viewer, shown above, shows the bear cub come within inches of a local child on Friday morning. It appears that both the bear cub and the child spooked each other, causing the cub to flee the scene. The child can be heard saying, “I love the giant bear,” after the surprising encounter.
Officials are asking residents to not engage with the cub. According to a Tweet from the City of Monroe, the bear was spotted in the area of Valencia and Edgewood in north Monroe on Friday morning. This appears to be a highly-populated area according to a map.
The Monroe Police Department and State Wildlife & Fisheries are working to capture the bear.
Officials are asking residents to not try to engage or capture the bear.
- Judge orders 11-year-old boy behind bars to await trial for allegedly killing 6-year-old neighbor
- Ohio mail carrier accused of hiding 335 pieces of mail in car, including ballot application
- 10-foot python found under hood of Mustang in South Florida
- Pedestrian in critical condition after struck in Hilltop
- The paranormal stories of Seul Choix Pointe Lighthouse