A quick-thinking security officer prevented a major mishap at the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport.
On July 20, a passenger at a checkpoint noticed smoke coming from a piece of luggage and yelled out for help.
That’s when Lead Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Officer Darrell Wade grabbed the bag and took it to a safe area outside of the terminal.
Wade notified local law enforcement officers who quickly responded and determined the item was a vape battery that malfunctioned.
TSA officials at the airport say the incident did not damage any screening equipment and the checkpoint remained open.
Wade is being hailed for his actions to avoid potential injury to passengers and other employees.
TSA wants to remind passengers that E-cigarettes, vaporizers, vape pens, atomizers and electronic nicotine delivery systems powered by batteries are not allowed in checked baggage.
If you are asked to check a carry-on bag plane side, TSA urges you to remove them first. They say you can check with your airline for additional restrictions.