A family is shaken up after their baby was bitten by a rattlesnake at a California day care.
The 15-month-old baby boy, identified only as Wayne, was bitten by the baby rattlesnake Wednesday morning. It happened at a day care operated by Naval Base San Diego.
The baby was rushed to a children’s hospital nearby where he was given antivenin. His hand swelled up to four times its normal size.
The snake bite could have killed the boy because of his age and size, according to a report from NBC San Diego. But after taking a few days to recover, the swelling from the bite and the fever have both gone down.
Even though he’s starting to get back to his playful self, Wayne’s parents say his fear hasn’t gone away.
“He freaked out when he saw a toy moving quickly around him. He thought it was a snake,” his father Javier said. “I hope he can get past the trauma, honestly. He’s a kid with a golden heart.”
A Naval Base spokesperson told NBC San Diego the snake may have slipped through a fence. That person also said it was the first time it’s happened.