Over 3,600 Ohioans reach out to governor after mass shooting

State News

Mourners gather for a vigil at the scene of a mass shooting, Sunday, Aug. 4, 2019, in Dayton, Ohio. Multiple people in Ohio were killed in the second mass shooting in the U.S. in less than 24 hours. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — More than 3,600 people have written letters, emails and made phone calls to Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine in the month following the deadly mass shooting in Dayton.

The Columbus Dispatch reports many of those contacting DeWine have personal connections to the Aug. 4 shooting in which the gunman killed nine people, including his sister and left more than two dozen injured.

DeWine’s office says nearly 2,600 of 3,098 emails encouraged new gun restrictions. The office categorized more than 500 other emails as having “pro-Second Amendment” sentiments.

DeWine spokesman Dan Tierney says the governor doesn’t read the notes, but staff members do.

Two days after the shooting, the Republican governor outlined a plan he already had been developing. It includes background checks and increased mental health aid, among other proposals.

___

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

STORY TOOLS

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools