3 brothers die after being stuck in manure pit in Ohio

Ohio News

MERCER CO., Ohio (WDTN) – Authorities in Ohio say three brothers have died after they became stuck in a manure pit and were overcome by fumes.

The deceased were as brothers Gary, Todd and Brad Wuebker. Rescue crews found them unconscious on their family’s farm.

The village’s fire chief say the brothers were fixing a manure pump before they passed out from the fumes. All three were taken to area hospitals and later pronounced dead.

A preliminary autopsy of two of the brothers showed they died by asphyxiation secondary to a farm accident.

Manure pits are common on large livestock farms, but they can produce dangerous gases including hydrogen sulfide and carbon monoxide.

It’s not clear how the men got stuck in the pit or how long they were in there.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

Get severe weather email alerts

Don't Miss

Local News

Surge in hospitalizations due to COVID-19

Local woman on a mission to help others after her struggle with depression, suicidal thoughts

Ben Gelber: Warm weekend, isolated shower Saturday

'Selfie museum' Viral Columbus helping guests get that perfect social media photo

Violent night in Columbus: Shootings leave four people dead in 12-hour span

FULL NEWS CONFERENCE: Columbus Police talk overnight violence

More Local News