Whetstone Care Center facing multiple lawsuits alleging neglect

Local News

By now, you might know the name James Chandler.

The 57-year-old man who died from septic shock, all because the Ohio Attorney General’s Office says staff at a Columbus nursing home neglected a bed sore.

Criminal charges and a lawsuit were recently filed.

In this report, you’re going to hear from a man and his lawyer who filed a lawsuit a year ago against that same facility – Whetstone Care Center.

The allegations are eerily similar.

NBC 4’s Tom Sussi sat down with the former patient and his lawyer.

“The only difference between me and him is that I lived through this and I’m a voice to tell my story,” said Bill Rogers. “He (Jim Chandler) was not able to do that.”

Bill Rogers’ story begins December of 2016.

“I had a hip replacement,” he said. “Routine.”

Following the surgery, Rogers said he went to Whetstone Care Center for rehabilitation.

Within a week, Rogers told Sussi it started.

“A sore on the bottom of my rear.”

As the days passed by, Rogers said that sore got worse and worse.

“I kept telling anyone and everyone who would listen to me,” said Rogers. “I told my therapist, I told my nurses, I told my aids, the front desk clerk. I tried to get their attention. And nobody would hear me.”

On Jan 15, 2017, Rogers said Whetstone Care Center transferred him to Riverside Methodist Hospital.

Rogers said he can still hear those words.

“Doctor told me that if I waited one more day, I would have been dead.”

It’s all spelled out in attending physicians notes provided to us by Roger’s attorney.

  • Necrotizing soft tissue infection
  • Ulceration resulting in sepsis
  • Non-operative management will likely result in death

“He’s (Rogers) rotting down to the bone,” said Akron Attorney Jim Casey, who represented Rogers.

Casey filed a lawsuit last June against Whetstone Care Center and The Macintosh Company, which operates seven senior care facilities in Central Ohio.

Casey said the staff there neglected to get his client in and out of bed enough, which he said caused the bed sore.

“They’re (staff) ordered to move him every few hours or every so often,” said Casey. “And it just wasn’t happening.”

As a result of that bed sore, said Casey, Rogers had surgery.

“Taking part of my tailbone out,” said Rogers. “They ended up having to do two surgeries to remove the infection.”

If this story sounds familiar – it should.

The Ohio Attorney General’s Office said James Chandler died in 2017, from septic shock after staff at Whetstone Care Center neglected to address a massive bedsore.

“I am here to stand up for that gentleman who died. He can’t, but I can,” Rogers said.

Here’s what a Whetstone Care Center spokesperson said about the lawsuit and allegations.

“The health, safety and well-being of our residents has been – and will always be – our top concern. And we hope Mr. Rogers has made a full recovery from any health issues. As our attorney has said in court documents, we strongly disagree that any of the injuries described by Mr. Rogers in his lawsuit were caused by the care he received at Whetstone more than two years ago.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss


Storm Team 4 on Alexa