Two-alarm apartment fire caused by space heater

Local News

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Multiple fire companies were called to an apartment complex on East Broad Street earlier this morning.  

At about 6:39am, Tuesday, firefighters were called to an apartment complex at 1445 E. Broad Street on the report of a fire.  

After arriving on scene, firefighters quickly requested more fire units due to the possible danger.

Firefighters say the fire began on a third floor apartment, but they were quickly able to contain the flames. 

Smoke damage has been reported in apartments above the third floor unit where the fire started, and two people are being treated for smoke inhalation. 

Firefighters say the fire was caused by a space heater plugged into a thin extension that was buried underneath clothing next to a bed.

East Broad Street is closed between Linwood and Taylor avenues while emergency crews remain on scene.   

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Interactive Radar

STORY TOOLS

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools