Smoke still rising from Fayette Co. barn fire; chief says he has never seen one like it in career

Local News

FAYETTE CO., OH (WCMH) — Five thousand pigs were killed in a large barn fire in Fayette County on Tuesday afternoon. It happened at a facility at 7111 Old US 35 in Wayne Township. Video from Chopper 4 shows just how hard firefighters were trying to contain this massive fire inside two barns.

The entire driveway leading to the barn is blocked off with tape as this fire is being investigated by the State Fire Marshal.

The barn that went up in flames is about a quarter mile down the drive and you can still see smoke coming from the barn on Wednesday. 

The Chief Deputy with Fayette County Sheriff’s Office says the area will continue to smoke for days and hot spots will have to burn themselves out until they can get in and move debris out. 

It took more than a dozen fire departments from 5 counties hours to put the fire out on Tuesday.

Calls came in shortly after 1pm on Tuesday and the area wasn’t declared under control until 5 hours later. Crews cleared the scene just before 10pm Tuesday night.

Washington Court House Fire Chief Thomas Youtz was first on scene with 3 of his fellow firefighters from his department.

“When you got back there, we had two big buildings and then a center building that was attached to them and we had some smoke coming out the ends of the hog barns there. You couldn’t actually get inside to actually fight the fire because you had pigs in there and it just, you needed water.”

Chief Youtz actually went to the hospital after he sustained an injury on scene.

“Oh, it’s sprained and I can barely move my first finger,” he said. “…it was a 3-inch hose, it got kinked, went to unkink it, they added pressure to it and that water coming at me just caught me wrong, pinched my hand and twisted. (My) wrist and thumb and first finger, smashed them up pretty good.”

Youtz added he he hasn’t seen a fire like this one before.

“I’ve been here since ‘94 and I cannot remember going on a hog barn fire like that.”

The fire chief says the slight breeze on Tuesday didn’t help, but the main concern was trying to get water on the fire. With how large the area is, there are no hydrants, so all the water had to be brought by tankers or shuttled in.

It’s being estimated it took around 260,000 gallons of water was used to put out the fire. It could take until next week for the Fire Marshal to determine a cause of the fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss


Storm Team 4 on Alexa