CIRCLEVILLE, OH (WCMH) – An investigation is underway after the bodies of a Pickaway County businessman, his wife, and the family dog were found on a boat on Lake Erie over the weekend.
Investigators say 49-year-old John Seyfang and 54-year-old Jodi Seyfang-Johnston likely died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Walk the streets of Circleville and you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who didn’t know the couple or didn’t have very kind things to say about John and Jodi. A small memorial is set up in front of the spa Jodi owned in town.
Their imprint is all over Circleville and John’s children say the people here are helping them get through this horrible time.
“I know that he’s so loved by everybody and I can’t thank everybody enough for everything they’re doing for us and helping keep us together,” said Madi Seyfang.
“It just doesn’t seem real at all,” said Cohl Seyfang.
Madi says she’ll never forget the phone call she got from investigators Sunday morning.
“I was in shock I mean we are all still in shock. I just kind of dropped the phone and did everything else that we needed to that day,” said Madi.
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources says the couple’s death was likely caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Their bodies and the family dog prudence were all discovered on their boat while docked on the Lake Erie shore over the weekend.
“They were running a generator and somehow carbon monoxide filled throughout the cabin and he turned off the generator but the carbon monoxide was still in there and it just killed them overnight,” said Cohl.
Madi and Cohl say boating was a big part of their life, and that they were also supposed to be with the couple on last weekend’s trip.
“I’m glad we didn’t go but you never know what would have happened if we did go,” said Cohl.
John owned Seyfang Electrical Company just outside of Circleville.
Funeral arrangements haven’t been finalized.