VANDALIA, Ohio (WDTN) — A male and female suspect are dead following a multi-county semi chase that resulted in a hostage situation Wednesday morning.

According to Chief Glenn Nicol with the London Police Department, it all began when an officer in London attempted to stop a vehicle for having no tail lights and no visible registration. The officer was given what was believed to be fraudulent registration information, and when the officer returned to the cruiser to check it out, the suspect fled.

The vehicle reportedly went north on U.S. 42 near I-70, stopping at a truck stop. A man and a woman then fled from the vehicle on foot. An officer chasing them attempted to tase the male suspect, who then pulled a firearm. However, no shots were fired.

Both suspects reportedly then got into a parked semi-truck that was nearby and fled with the driver still inside. As they fled, they struck a London police cruiser but no officers were injured.

Nicol reported that the suspects fled north on U.S. 42, then east on some county roads, then west on U.S. 40 toward Springfield, eventually traveling onto I-70 westbound and coming to a stop at Dayton International Airport Access Road due to stop sticks deployed by police.

At around 3:23 a.m., the Ohio State Highway Patrol Special Response Team and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office began negotiating with the suspect via cell phone.

At approximately 7:30 a.m., personnel with the Special Response Team approached the semi to remove the victim but the suspects fired shots. OSHP Lt. Nathan Dennis reported that officers returned fire, striking both suspects.

Dennis said the victim was removed from the semi and transported to Miami Valley Hospital with minor injuries.

Both suspects were also transported to Miami Valley Hospital, however, they have both since succumbed to their injuries.

According to Nicol, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations is taking over the investigation.

Both ramps from I-70 to Airport Access Road have since reopened.