Improperly discarded cigarette butts led to fire that killed man, injured firefighters

Local News
fire-truck-generic_368642

MARION, Ohio (WCMH) — Officials say improperly disposed cigarette butts led to a fire that killed a man and injured two firefighters.

It happened around 1 p.m. Sunday along the initial block of Neil Avenue in Marion.

The occupant, who is paraplegic, called 911 and said his house was on fire and he was trapped inside. Firefighters entered and found the man in a first-floor bedroom that was affected by the fire. He was removed from the home and was taken to Marion General Hospital in critical condition. He was later transferred to OSU’s Wexner Medical Center.

The victim, 57-year-old Ralph Vaughn, died Monday morning.

Two firefighters suffered first and second degree burns on their face, neck and shoulders while trying to rescue Vaughn. They were treated and released from the Marion General emergency room.

According to firefighters, the fire was caused by cigarettes that were discarded in a trash can.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

STORY TOOLS

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast

Don't Miss

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools