HILLIARD, OH (WCMH) — Red Cross has been called to help several people who were displaced after a fire in the Hilliard area.
Just before 2 a.m. Monday, firefighters with Norwich Township were called to the 3900 block of Parkside Court on the report of a fire.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they found smoke coming for a townhome in the area.
Four people, a mother and her three adult children, inside were able to make it out safely and because the townhome was connected to others, a total of 12 people were affected.
Norwich Township Fire chief Jeffrey Warren said the fire was accidentally started by an unattended candle left burning.
Warren said the mother was in a basement bedroom when the fire alarm went off. She fled out a first-floor door and was able to get her children out of the home, one of whom had to jump from a second-floor window.
The Red Cross has responded to the scene and is helping those displaced by the fire.
Warren said the outcome could have been much worse had the family not had working smoke detectors.