DELAWARE COUNTY, Ohio (WCMH) — William S. Roberts, who is charged in the death of his 1-year-old child, appeared in Delaware County Court of Common Pleas on Thursday afternoon.
During his arraignment, Roberts pleaded not guilty to all charges against him. The judge ordered that he be held without bond and set Roberts’ next hearing for Sept. 13.
Roberts, 28, was indicted by a grand jury for allegedly killing his daughter during a domestic violence incident near Polaris in July.
Charges against Roberts are:
- 1 count of aggravated murder
- 1 count of attempted aggravated murder
- 1 count of attempted murder
- 1 count of kidnapping
- 2 counts of having weapons while under disability
- 1 count of aggravated robbery
- 4 counts of robbery
- 1 count of tampering with evidence
Court documents show that many of the charges carry specifications, and he could face the death penalty if convicted of aggravated murder.
According to Columbus Police, the shooting was reported in the area of Lazelle Road and Worthington Galena Road at approximately 9:26 p.m. on July 20.
Columbus Chief of Police Elaine Bryant said the shooting was a domestic violence situation that started inside the home.
Bryant said Roberts then put the mother and girl into a car, which he crashed, then allegedly carjacked another couple’s vehicle and crashed that car, as well.
Roberts was taken into custody a short while later.
Roberts’ criminal history includes:
- 2011 — Pleading guilty to public indecency.
- 2011 — Pleading guilty to felonious assault, sentenced to six years in prison.
- 2019 — Pleading guilty to breaking and entering.
- 2021 — Roberts currently faces charges for improperly handling a firearm and having a weapon under disability.