COLUMBUS, Ohio (WCMH) – One person was fatally shot and another person was injured in an overnight shooting near Ohio State University early Friday morning.

Columbus police responded to reports of shots fired around 2:45 a.m. on the 1700 block of North High Street, between 12th and 13th Avenues, across the street from the Ohio State student union building. Two people — both men — were taken to Wexner Medical Center, according to police.

25-year-old Deijon Bedgood died just after 3 a.m., after being transported in critical condition. The second victim, 27, remains in stable condition.

Columbus police said they detained and arrested 26-year-old suspect Raymond Ladd and charged him with murder. The division identified the second suspect Friday afternoon as 25-year-old Shemar Franklin. Franklin is facing murder and felonious assault charges, police said.

The incident reportedly began as an argument between two groups of people that escalated into a fight. Ladd and the second suspect allegedly pulled out handguns and began firing.

None of the people involved were Ohio State students, police said as they set evidence markers down in front of a Waffle House and Key Bank on North High Street. But it left some students rattled — thousands who woke up this morning to a Buckeye Alert of the shooting.

“Kind of sometimes you don’t know if it is like fireworks or gunshots but we kind of just assume it’s fireworks,” said Limila Vleck, a freshman. “I was actually on north campus last night, and got back at like 1 (a.m.) but had my friend drive me, and I am glad that we did not stay out later.”

Columbus police said clear surveillance footage played a huge role in this arrest, and others as well.

“Obviously any time we have incidents like this that are tragic that result in the loss of life it is something that is a very high priority for us so we would like to talk to this person as quickly as possible,” said Deputy Chief Smith Weir.

North High Street was closed between Chittenden Avenue and East 15th Avenue while police continued to investigate. The area reopened just after 8 a.m.

The incident marked the city’s 51st homicide in 2023.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Detective Polgar at or at (614) 774-7810.