COLUMBUS (WCMH) — As the late August heatwave breaks, Columbus City Schools will reopen 19 of 20 buildings closed due to the heat on the first two days of school last week.
Starting Monday, all schools closed last Thursday and Friday, with the exception of Whetstone High School, will reopen for in-person learning.
Whetstone will continue with remote learning Monday as teachers and staff take Monday to prepare classrooms for in-person learning on Tuesday.
Forecasts call for temperatures to drop to the mid-80s on Monday and continue the downward trend through the week.
Twenty schools were closed for the first two days of in-person learning in CCS last week due to either a lack of air conditioning or having HVAC systems installed when temperatures reached into the 90s with high humidity, making it feel much hotter than it was.
Schools reopening classrooms on Monday are:
- Columbus Alternative High School (CAHS)
- Eastmoor Academy
- Arts Impact Middle School
- Columbus City Preparatory School for Boys
- Johnson Park Middle School
- Mifflin Middle School
- Westmoor Middle School
- Yorktown Middle School
- Broadleigh Elementary School
- Columbus Gifted Academy
- Como Elementary School
- Fairwood Elementary School
- Hubbard Elementary School
- Maize Elementary School
- North Linden Elementary School
- Siebert Elementary School
- Valleyview Elementary School
- West Broad Elementary School
- Westgate Elementary School