COLUMBUS (WCMH) – It’s been more than six months since the shooting death of Casey Goodson Jr., but his community is keeping his memory alive.

A celebration rally in Goodson’s honor was held Saturday.

“Casey really loved live, and it’s a shame that his life was taken, but today is about celebrating that life,” said family attorney Sean Walton.

The family said they were beyond grateful and touched that people in the community were willing to organize the event to celebrate the life of Goodson, also known as Tank to his family, a nickname he’s had ever since childhood.

“When he was little?” his uncle, Ernest Payne, said. “Yeah, yeah he was always in the way. He was an active baby just like all the kids.”

Goodson was an avid biker, and his uncle led the motorcade of motorcycles throughout the streets of Columbus on the same bike Goodson rode.

Afterwards, friends and family gathered at the corner of Kelton and East Main streets, where people talked, reminisced, and prayed for Goodson’s family.

Goodson, 23, was fatally shot Dec. 4 on the North Side by Jason Meade, a deputy who was coming off a special assignment with the U.S. Marshals. Meade’s attorney has said Goodson waved a gun at the deputy and refused commands to drop the weapon.

Goodson’s mother and a family attorney say that Goodson did have a permit to carry a concealed weapon but that at the time he was carrying a bag of Subway sandwiches and a face mask when he was shot while trying to unlock the door to a family home.

Throughout Saturday’s event, Goodson’s mother said she was inspired to continue fighting for her son.

“It feels good, you know, it feels to have people come out and celebrate Casey and know that his name is still out there,” said Tamala Payne. “These people are still fighting, we’re still in it, I fight every day, so I try to keep everybody fighting every day. I let them move off of my energy, so it’s good.”

Goodson’s family said that while Saturday’s event is over, they will continue to keep his memory alive in the community for as long as they can.

“We know that it’s not a fast process, but we do believe that the correct results will come in the end, and that means that Jason Meade will be held accountable,” Walton said.

The Franklin County Prosecutor has appointed two attorneys as special prosecutors in Goodson’s death.

Meade is scheduled to leave the sheriff’s office on disability retirement July 2.