COLUMBUS (WCMH) – A woman will spend nearly a decade in prison after a boy in her care overdosed on fentanyl.
Police say 12-year-old Kanye Champelle ingested fentanyl he found in Sheila Hutchins’ home. His, mother Latice Champelle was beside herself while talking to the judge about her son.
“A huge part of me died when I witnessed my son laying in that hospital bed. He couldn’t open his eyes,” said Champelle
Today would have been Kanye’s 14th birthday. Instead of celebrating his with his family they are sitting in this courtroom facing the woman responsible for his death.
“There’s so many stories that’s been told about my son’s death. The only person that knows the truth is her,” said Champelle.
Both Latice and Kanye’s father, Robert Bren battled addiction in the past.
“My son has lived a life of horror prior to this moment that he died. He came to me Because the horrors of addiction and he died because the horrors of addiction,” said Bren.
Hutchins’ lawyer’s told the judge his client is an addict due to the physical abuse she suffered from the men in her life. He said that was her way to cope with the pain. Despite her past, and pleas from Hutchins’ family, the judge gave a swift ruling, nine and a half years in prison for involuntary manslaughter and endangering children.