Columbus police identify ‘person of interest’ from protest, attorney calls post ‘inaccurate and reckless’

Local News

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Columbus police say they have identified a man seen at protests, Saturday.  

According to the Columbus Division of Police Facebook page, police were wanting to identify a man seen in a YouTube video.  

“We’d like to speak with this man,” the Facebook post reads. 

Just before noon Sunday, police say they have identified the man. No other information was released by police.

Taylor Waters, an attorney who says she represents the man in the photo, says the version of the photo and video shared by Columbus police was misleading and from an unreliable source.

The photos and videos CPD previously shared regarding a person of interest were inaccurate and reckless. CPD shared an edited video from an unreliable and heavily biased source. The poster removed the portion of the video which clearly demonstrates a request for supplies. My client was not inciting violence, my client was seeking supplies to help people who had been injured by police officers. He did not pay anyone to cause property damage, break any law, or otherwise cause civil unrest. He is now the target of threats and fears for his and his family’s safety. If CPD would like to discuss this further and view the whole video, they may contact me. I have already attempted to reach out. 

Taylor Waters, Waters Legal LLC

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

Get severe weather email alerts

Don't Miss

Local News

Tuesday is special election day in Ohio's 15th, 11th districts

Jordan remains critical of Jan. 6 investigation committee, speaks at Dublin event

Giant Eagle to reinstate mask wearing for employees, encourage masks for customers

Columbus Police: Plumber reports seeing bone while doing drain inspection

Central Ohio housing market shows no signs of slowing down

Columbus City Schools won’t use COTA buses to transport high school students

More Local News