City of Columbus secures order to shut down club, dangerous property on Mock Road

Local News

Custom CSS

Columbus City Attorney Zach Klein announced Thursday the city of Columbus secured an emergency court order to vacate and shut down Club Wadinasi.

City officials say gunshots rang out at the club almost as frequently as the $10 shots were poured out. 

In the last six months, the Columbus Division of Police responded to multiple shootings and assaults at 2084 Mock Road.

In one incident, officers arrived just in time to save a gunshot victim from bleeding to death by applying a tourniquet to his leg before paramedics arrived.

In another shooting, no one called 911. Instead, the wounded victim was removed from the club by a bouncer and left outside.

Klein’s office filed a request for an ex parte temporary restraining order in the Franklin County Environmental Court to board up the premises at the club on Mock Road, which is zoned for an auto repair shop and a banquet hall, but instead was operating as “Club Wadinasi.” 

The property, which would contain as many as 150 to 200 patrons from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m., is close to residential housing and located within a half mile radius of an elementary school and several houses of worship.

“Shutting down this dangerous and illegal boot-joint is another example of our office using civil litigation to stop criminal activity,” said Columbus City Attorney Zach Klein. “Instead of repairing cars, this property was being used to ruin lives.  We’re glad to be able to remove this scourge from the neighborhood and hope it eventually can be restored to its rightful use as a productive business.”

On June 24, 2018, Columbus police were dispatched to the premises at 3:43 a.m. on reports of an assault. 

Officers located a female victim who said she was struck in the face and robbed by another patron at Club Wadinasi.

On July 18, 2018, Columbus City Code Enforcement issued a notice of violation to the property owners and an individual identified as the operator/tenant of the building, who fashioned himself as “Curtis Wadinasi.”   

The notice declared the premises in violation of city zoning code due to its non-conformity with the approved site plan. 

Police officials also began a covert investigation of the premises around this time.

On August 5, 2018, at 1:50 a.m., officers and paramedics responded to the premises and found an unconscious female passed out in the road in front of the club. 

Later that month, police obtained evidence that marijuana was being sold, along with $10 shots of Hennessey, from inside the premises. 

Police reports also indicate that “several women were working as strippers.”

On Sept. 30, 2018, at 2:50 a.m., police responded to a report of a shooting. Officers found a victim who had been shot through the left thigh, wounded in the right leg, and had facial injuries. 

The victim was bleeding profusely and, according to court documents, would have died had the officer not arrived in time to apply a tourniquet.  During the incident, officers observed between 150-200 patrons inside the premises. Then, on October 26, 2018 officers responded to a report of another assault at the premises.  A female victim reported that she was punched in the face.  A second victim indicated she was choked by the same suspect when trying to intervene to help the first victim.

On Dec. 2, 2018, at 3:45 a.m., police responded to a report of multiple shots fired at the premises.  More than 100 patrons were inside at the time.  A victim was found with a gunshot wound in the leg.  Officers recovered two guns under a pool table, along with live rounds and a glock magazine. One of the guns was reported as stolen.

On February 23, 2019, at 3:40 a.m., shots were fired inside the premises, resulting in at least one person being shot in the leg.  No one called 911, but instead, the victim was pulled from the club and left outside by a bouncer. On March 6, 2019, police responded to reports of four to five shots fired at the premises. On March 9, 2019, at 2:50 a.m., approximately 10 shots were fired near the parking lot.

“This establishment was operating well beyond the scope of the law on many different levels,” said Assistant City Attorney Katarina Karac.  “We’re pleased the judge granted our request for the emergency board-up order and look forward to presenting our full case at the next hearing.”

A follow-up hearing for a preliminary and permanent injunction against the owners and operator is scheduled for 9 a.m. on March 22, 2019.  At this hearing, the court can order the property to remain closed for up to one year.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Interactive Radar


Don't Miss

Today's Central OH Forecast

More Forecast


Storm Team 4 on Alexa