Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause people to feel sick and can even kill people who are overexposed to the gas.
It mixes in with the air we breathe and through vents if there’s an issue with an appliance.
Russell Wood, a field operations leader with Columbia Gas, said every household should have at least one carbon monoxide detector.
He said the instructions on the detector will show you how to properly install the unit and how to determine what each beep means.
Wood said a CO detector is the best indicator to track elevated levels of CO gas which could happen at any time.
“It really all boils down to improper combustion of gas and that can happen with any equipment malfunction,” said Wood.
He added beyond having a carbon monoxide detector in your home, the equipment that uses gas should be checked at least once a year.
“You definitely want to get your furnace cleaned and tuned regularly, get those maintenance regularly, get your appliances maintenance regularly,” said Wood.
Todd Shepherd, of Comfortworks, agreed that routine maintenance of furnaces and water heaters is a necessity.
“Our biggest concern is the flue gas. We’ll check the CO levels in it and we’ll check the CO levels in the air stream,” said Shepherd.
He said it’s their way to look for signs of abnormally high carbon monoxide levels.
“Any of these numbers that are off is a good indication that there’s a crack in the heat exchange or the burners are dirty.”
He said it is through these inspections they can sometimes identify an issue before it becomes dangerous and harmful.
“The most important thing is our families health and keeping everybody healthy,” said Shepherd.
Also, if your detector goes off you should go outside immediately and then call 911.