COLUMBUS (WCMH) — The football team didn’t win a national title, but The Ohio State Buckeyes earned the honor of “Best In College Sports” for the second time in four years.
CBS Sports crunches the numbers after every season, and tapped the Buckeyes for their overall consistency across teams. Here are some of the Buckeye achievements over the 2017-2018 school year:
- Football team finishes 12-2 with Big Ten title and Cotton Bowl victory
- Men’s and women’s basketball reach second round of NCAA tournament
- Wrestling team finishes as national runner-up
- Men’s volleyball team reaches national semifinal
- Men’s and women’s ice hockey teams reach frozen four
- Baseball and softball teams make NCAA tournament
Alabama finished second, and Oklahoma finished third in the rankings.
CBS Sports says it ranks every FBS school “in three sports — football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball — along with two “wild cards” among the school’s most successful spectator sports: baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, gymnastics, lacrosse, hockey and wrestling.”