The Arena Football League today announced its 2019 season schedule, along with rule changes for the upcoming season.
Last week, the AFL announced Columbus will operate a new franchise in the league and begin to play this spring.
AFL teams will play 12 regular-season games beginning on April 26. The first game for the Columbus team will be played on April 27.
Here is the schedule for the Columbus team:
- April 27 — Columbus @ Albany
- May 4 — Columbus @ Atlantic City
- May 10 — Columbus @ Baltimore
- May 18 — Columbus vs. Albany
- May 25 — Columbus vs. Washington
- June 1 — Columbus @ Philadelphia
- June 7 — Columbus vs. Atlantic City
- June 15 — Columbus vs. Baltimore
- June 22 — Columbus vs. Philadelphia
- June 28 — Columbus @ Baltimore
- July 14 — Columbus vs. Albany
- July 20 — Columbus @ Washington
The Columbus Destroyers were the prior Arena Football team for the city, playing from 2004-2008.
Earle Bruce and Chris Spielman were among the former coaches during their tenure.
Columbus made the ArenaBowl championship game in 2007 with current Chicago Bears head coach Matt Nagy as the quarterback.
It’s unclear whether the “Destroyers” will remain the team nickname, although several sources tell NBC4 that’s the current plan.
“This is a banner day for the Arena Football League, with the return of one of the League’s most attractive markets that has proven to be comprised of loyal fans,” said Ron Jaworski, the AFL chairman of the executive committee in a news release. “We are going to deliver an AFL team that will immediately excite and draw in the people of Columbus.”