52-year-old man dead in southeast Columbus fire caused by cigarette

Local News
52-year-old man dead in southeast Columbus fire caused by cigarette

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — A 52-year-old man is dead following a fire that started Friday evening in a southeast Columbus apartment.

The fire was reported around 7:15 p.m. at the Marsh Run Apartments in the 2300 block of Hudson Bay Way. 

Firefighters say the blaze was caused by a lit cigarette.

Neighbors reported the fire after seeing smoke pouring from the doors and windows. They banged on the door, but nobody answered, according to Columbus Division of Fire Batallion Chief Steve Martin.

Firefighters entered the home and found Curtis Crowder dead.

Martin said the fire was put out quickly.

No other units of the apartment building were affected.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

STORY TOOLS

Alexa

Storm Team 4 on Alexa

W3Schools

Storm Team 4 Weather App