COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Two people were hospitalized after a fire in north Columbus.
According to Columbus Division of Fire Battalion Chief Steve Martin, at about 6:31am, Thursday, firefighters were called to a home in the 100 block of E. Blake Avenue on the report of a fire.
A neighbor who was heading to work spotted the fire and called 911.
A woman inside the home was able to get out on her own from a second story window to the porch roof where she waited for firefighters to get her down.
Later, a 56-year-old man was found inside the home by firefighters and was taken to the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in critical condition. Martin says the man was suffering from severe smoke inhalation but no burns.
Columbus Fire investigators say the fire started in an upstairs bedroom and is considered accidental. The ignition source has yet to be determined.
According to Martin, there were no working smoke alarms in the house at the time of the fire.
Columbus residents who are in need of a smoke alarm, or wish to have their current alarms evaluated can call 614-724-0935. Firefighters will schedule a time to come out and install smoke alarms at no charge.