LIST: These big businesses are fighting back against Pres. Trump

News

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Unhappy with his policies, his treatment of others, or the tone of his tweets, several CEOs are speaking with their budgets to protest President Trump.

This past weekend, top executives from companies such as Starbucks, Uber and Netflix announced their support and gave donations to the American Civil Liberties Union in a form of protest.

Home sharing websites like Airbnb, is offering free housing to people unexpectedly stuck in limbo with no place to stay. So far Airbnb has been working with people who have been reaching out to the company directly to help them find a place to stay for free.

The company is continuing to take in volunteers willing to help, some of those volunteers are from Columbus.

“I don’t have a great deal but I have always been taught that what you have you share,” said Laurie Granger, Airbnb host.

That is exactly what Granger and others renting out their homes plan to do following the signing of Trump’s immigration ban executive order.

This past weekend, Trump signed an order barring citizens of seven countries into the United States. Hundreds were stranded at airports both within the US and abroad.

The ban disappointed many across the nation, including CEO and co-founder of Airbnb Brian Chesky.

Cheeky tweeted, “Airbnb is providing free housing to refugees and anyone not allowed in the US.”

“Columbus is better and America is better with immigrants, with refugees who are different than ourselves. We are stronger that way,” says Granger.

Granger believes Americans and politicians should do everything they possibly can to resist this executive order, even if those opening up your home.

“We don’t stop with protesting. we don’t stop with calling out representatives… that we extend the olive branch if we can. It has made me angry, it has made me frustrated, it has made me sad that we are where we are but I know there is a little bit I can do so what I can I will.”

Several other companies also announced plans:

Starbucks

The Seattle-based coffee giant announced plans to hire 10,000 refugees over the next five years in direct response to Trump’s executive order to prevent citizens from several Muslim-majority countries from entering the US.

CEO Howard Schultz was critical of Trump during his campaign and called for civility prior to the election.

“We are all obligated to ensure our elected officials hear from us individually and collectively. Starbucks is doing its part,” Schultz said in a statement.

Lyft

Ride-sharing service Lyft announced it will donate $1 million to the American Civil Liberties Union following Trump’s immigration order.

“Banning people of a particular faith or creed, race or identity, sexuality or ethnicity, from entering the U.S. is antithetical to both Lyft’s and our nation’s core values,” co-founders John Zimmer and Logan Green said in a statement.

Airbnb

Following the chaos Friday, Airbnb announced it would provide housing to refugees and anyone stuck overseas.

Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky tweeted, “Not allowing countries or refugees into America is not right, and we must stand with those who are affected.”

Postmates

Postmates – a mobile food delivery service – is matching all donations made by Postmates employees to the ACLU and International Refugee Assistance Project.

In a statement, CEO Bastian Lehmann said, “The trade-off of these policies is obvious. In exchange for the guise of safety rooted in fear of those with different religious, ethnic and cultural backgrounds we will be abandoning the diverse melting pot of culture and ideas that has made the United States prosper.”

Google

Google announced Monday it is launching a crisis fund that could raise up to $4 million for four immigrant rights organizations. According to a USA Today report, the company is fronting $2 million and can be matched by donations from employees. The money will go toward the ACLU, the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, the International Rescue Committee and the U.N. Refugee Agency.

DoorDash

DoorDash CEO Tony Xu, an immigrant who moved to the U.S. more than 20 years ago, tweeted his disdain for Trump’s executive order, calling it a misguided, blunt solution to a complicated, nuanced problem.

Xu offered free food to all lawyers working pro bono over the weekend to help immigrants under duress from Trump’s order.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on NBC4i.com

Today's Central OH Forecast

Get severe weather email alerts

Don't Miss