GRANDVIEW HEIGHTS, Ohio (WCMH)– Weaving your way through the court system may be tough. Fighting a ticket can be rougher. Here is the information you need to help you either pay or contest your ticket.

Payment Options

Should you want to pay the fine and move on with your life, the information you need is below. The city offers three ways to pay.

  • ONLINE: click here to Pay your fine online
  • MAIL: You may send payment through the mail with a personal check or money order made payable to the City of Grandview Heights. Sign the back of the ticket and enclose it with your payment. Send payment to Grandview Heights Mayor’s Court, 1016 Grandview Avenue, Columbus, OH 43212
  • IN-PERSON: You may use check, money order, and debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or Discover) at the Police Dispatcher’s window from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM any day of the week

Proof of insurance

If the “Financial Responsibility Proof” is NOT marked “Yes” on your citation, you could receive a notice from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles requesting proof of insurance. Also, you will want to mail a copy of your insurance with your ticket if you mail your payment to the city.

According to the Ohio Bar Association, you need to know a number of things before pleading guilty to a charge. The list below is not strictly for traffic citations.

  • What are the maximum jail time and fines that can be imposed?
  • What are the court costs I’ll have to pay?
  • Do I have to pay restitution to the victim?
  • How long do I have to pay the fine and court costs?
  • Is the prosecutor making a sentencing recommendation and, if so, what is it?
  • What is the mandatory minimum sentence for the offense I’m pleading guilty to?
  • Will this offense be a “prior” for purposes of enhanced sentencing in future criminal or traffic cases?
  • Is there a license suspension or are points associated with my being found guilty of this offense?
  • Do I have to maintain any sort of special insurance or equipment as a result of my plea?
  • Does pleading guilty affect my ability to qualify for government programs and/or student aid?
  • Might I be put on probation or community control and, if so, for how long? What will the terms of probation be?
  • Will I be required to register as a sex offender as a result of pleading guilty?
  • Will I be unable to vote or restricted from possessing a firearm as a result of my guilty plea?

Contest the ticket in court

According to law firm Tyack Law’s, you can get the ticket dismissed. Here are a number of options:

  • Contest the officer’s evidence
  • Provide just reason for speeding or violating another traffic law
  • Prove incorrect information on the ticket
  • Defend yourself in court if the officer doesn’t show up
  • Prove you’re enrolled in a driving course

There are benefits of contesting the ticket. If you pay the ticket, you are admitting guilt. If you choose to show up in court, you have a chance to get a smaller fine or the charge dropped. Since you’re not a lawyer you may want to hire one.

When you get to talk to the judge, you will plead “not guilty.” No, this is not lying even if you know the ticket is legit. This is the state’s burden to prove that you are guilty. Therefore, by law, you are innocent. This is a time where you can ask the judge to appoint you a lawyer if you cannot afford one.

If you can afford a lawyer, a simple search on the internet will find you a lot of lawyers who can defend you in court. Of course, your search can also begin with the Ohio Bar Association by clicking here.

According to Joslyn Law Firm, you can ask for your case to be transferred to the county court. This can happen by simply asking for a jury trial.

Transferring your case can impact the outcome significantly, so you should always carefully discuss your options with a skilled defense lawyer. If you properly appeal the decision of a Mayor’s Court magistrate, your case will automatically transfer out of that court and will be heard by a municipal judge.

Joslyn Law Firm Website

Grandview Heights Mayor’s Court schedule:

Mayor’s Court convenes on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month at 1:00 PM. You may also check on the city calendar. It is located at 1016 Grandview Avenue, Grandview Heights, Ohio 43212. A magistrate has been appointed by the mayor. You may direct your questions to the Clerk of Court at the following:

  • Phone: 614-481-6205
  • Fax: 614-481-6224
  • Email: