Precautions Taken After Threat Made Involving Chillicothe Middle - NBC4: Columbus, Ohio News, Weather, and Sports (WCMH-TV)

Parents Divided After Threat Involving Chillicothe Middle School

Posted: Updated:

Extra safety precautions were made at two Chillicothe schools Thursday, after a threat was made.

According to Chillicothe City Schools, officials received notification Wednesday that an outside threat had been made regarding an individual associated with Chillicothe Middle School.

A letter from the district superintendent, indicated that officials have done what is necessary to ensure student safety at Chillicothe Middle School and Chillicothe High School, because they share the same facility.

The steps taken were precautionary measures, officials said.

District officials are working with law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety of students and staff.

The schools were not locked down, according to Chillicothe police.

Chillicothe schools officials sent a phone message to parents Wednesday, alerting them about the possibility of some type of threat at the middle school.

Some parents said they were surprised.

"I was kind of alarmed in a way because, really, for this school system, I haven't heard we get a lot of threats like that. It did catch us off guard," a parent said.

School officials and police have not revealed the exact threat, but told parents that there were extra steps taken to ensure student safety.

The high school and middle school facilities share a school resource officer.

Parents like Johnie Baker said she felt the school has a good safety plan, and she let her child go to school Thursday.

"There was police this morning, so I felt that they were aware of the situation. They were taking care of it the best they could," Baker said.

But other parents said they didn't know about the threat.

"I didn't know about it and if I did, I would not definitely brought my granddaughter to school today. She had been sick anyway and if I knew there was a threat, she would have definitely stayed home," said Shirley Smyers, a grandmother.

As students were dismissed Thursday afternoon, there were no problems, but many parents said they are frustrated at the threats.

"This is a good school. It really is. But stuff like this has got to cease. It's got to end somehow," said Glen Farleigh, a parent.

Police said they are working closely with the school and that the investigation continues.

Police said they will have the same safety measures in place on Friday.

Special Features

        Radar                           NBC4 Apps                      E-mail Alerts                        Traffic                   Send A News Tip
                   
Powered by WorldNow

3165 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43202

Telephone: 614.263.4444
Fax: 614.263.0166
Email: stories@nbc4i.com

NBC4 BBB Business Review
Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.